Navigate

Photo Tip - Tweaking Might Improve Your Image 100%

Take better photos - demonstrating my photo tip for nature photography.


PHOTO TIP: Tweak Before You Snap!

My artist's journal of nature sketches and studies.

This photo tip can make or break an image. An otherwise 'Wow' shot can be ruined by the intrusion of unwanted bits of this and that.
Do some house cleaning around your subject. Remove loose dead leaves, sticks, and other things that you don't want in the picture. 
Then take a hard look at the arrangement of the blossoms, leaves, and background. Are they where you want them? Are there parts of the plants in the wrong place? Is the background sufficiently clean and tidy?
In the photos above of my Clematis flowers, you can see before and after the tweak. I rearranged the leaf that was hiding that beautiful bloom by gently moving it behind and twisting it slightly to create tension to hold it in place while I took the shot.

Clematis vine watercolor painting by me, Lori Lee Bowles Sampson, Starglow Studio.
I prefer not to remove, break, or otherwise damage a plant, but I do often try to coax leaves and flowers into a position that’s best for my shot.
 Using pipe cleaners or other props can also help with this, but always remove them when you're done and make sure they don’t show in your picture.

Play with this tip and let me know if it helped you take better pictures!


4 different Clematis vines blooming on my patio.

I have 4 kinds of Clematis on my patio (one is not blooming yet). Last year they didn’t do very well, but this year they’re doing great! If you have them, I hope they're doing well for you too!

Unfinished watercolor painting by Lori Lee




Love flowers? 
Visit my Painting Gallery for 
floral art and other nature subjects. 

And visit my Instagram 
@StarglowStudioPhotos for more of my photography.

No comments: