Pets are wonderful additions to our lives. They give us unconditional love and we give love back along with all their needs for a great life. But there's no reason not to make those creature comforts home decor friendly. I prefer to look to the charm and beauty of handmade, either by others or myself.
Vintage Suitcase Pet BedWith fall and winter fast approaching, here's a DIY project to keep your pet comfy and warm. Make it to suit yourself (ha ha, yes that's a pun) or purchase a beautiful handmade one from artists online.
Just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Make it your own by choosing just the right color and style of suitcase and adding embellishments to coordinate with your home decor. Click on the image for more ideas.
This DIY Vintage Suitcase Pet Bed project is so easy, it hardly even needs instructions.
- Get a suitcase: Maybe use one that has some sentimental value but a little too worn to use, or just pick one up you like the looks of from a yard sale, thrift store or flea market.
- Clean: Scrub the inside and out to remove grime, but remember, the wear on a vintage suitcase is part of its charm.
- Remove the lid: Take off the top of the suitcase and be sure not to leave any sharp edges exposed. I suggest completely removing the hinges.
- Decorate: Add some fun embellishments or leave it as it. You could fasten legs on to it, or use it flat on the floor. All your choice... you're the designer here.
- Add a cushion: Depending on the size of your vintage suitcase, an old bed pillow fitted with a pretty pillow case works great. Or get fancy and cover a pillow or foam with fabric to match your home decor.
Good luck and have fun!
-- Lori Lee, Starglow Studio Gallery