Sunday

Enhance Photos of 3D Art with White Backgrounds



I spent the day taking shots of a few of my polymer clay creations I'm submitting for a group show. Taking my own photos can be both very satisfying AND frustrating. As the artist I'm never completely objective as I position a piece ready for the shoot. Being the maker means I know about all the flaws. This can be an advantage since I can to put the item in it's best light. However it can also become an obsession trying not show a single flaw... an impossible task, after all, this is handmade art. As I arrange my art I do my best to step back and view it like it's the first time I've ever laid eyes on it.

I love creating images of my 3-D art with well lit white backgrounds. It can really enhance the colors and keeps everything focused on the art.
With the advantages of digital photography I find shooting in a studio setting much more fun than when I use to use film.
-- view it while you shoot means: you know what the shot will look like (most of the time)
-- no cost means: take lots of shots, with the law of averages one of them has to be good
-- immediate viewing means: take it over if it isn't right

Have fun shooting your art, it can be part of the creative process!
See more of my art in my Etsy Shop or follow my Twitter.

No comments:

Shop for Digital Downloads of My Art & Photography